The factory at Maryport was built in 1940 to help with the ever growing demand for rubber footwear. It was based on the pattern of progress established at East Tilbury and specialised in the production of rubber footwear by advanced methods of prefabrication and direct vulcanisation processes. This plant, like the main plant at East Tilbury, is outside the traditional centres of British Shoemaking and has been purposely sited in an area of heavy unemployment in order to bring industry and jobs to thousands.
Mr Krauss, Factory Manager at Maryport.
Two views of the factory at Maryport.
"Eppy", William Adair joined the Bata Shoe Company in 1946. He was one of a group from Maryport who spent a lot of 1946 at East Tilbury learning his trade before returning to Maryport and participating in the start of production there. He went into the Textile Manipulation Department and was still working there in 1978 when he was named as Maryport's Employee of the Month. Eppy was noted in the Bata Record in 1946 for playing the piano at the opening of the Maryport Social Club in the former Girls College in Bata Avenue East Tilbury.
Closing room in the Maryport factory.
Mr J. Stamper and Mr J. Stanton with workers from Maryport who spent six weeks at East Tilbury learning about new machinery for making men's kneeboots before production resumed at Maryport in 1959.
The Maryport Factory was closed down in accordance with the instructions of the Government during the war. This plan was todo with the concentration of industry and happened at a time when preparations were being made to open a new rubber factory which the Company had built adjacent to the original building. The factory was re-opened in 1946 once the war time tenants had vacated the property.