The first factory at East Tilbury was a single storey building but it was not long before the larger buildings appeared. One of these was for the Leather Department, another for Rubber and the third large building housed Administration and Service Departments e.g. designing and merchandising. The Community at East Tilbury has always been an international one. Not only did the first people from Czechoslovakia move to this garden city but they were joined by people from all over the British Isles, Poland, Malta and many other countries. As the Factory and Community grew others came from around the world,. at the same time people from East Tilbury visited other countries to help with factories and manufacturing. The people living and working in this Community also got very used to celebrities visiting both the Estate and Factory, athletes involved with the development of sports shoes, the cast of workers Playtime, which was recorded in the Cinema, as well as other TV personalities visited.
1938, note the tennis courts are ready for use.
Farm cottages converted in to Gatehouse and shop.
Living in East Tilbury meant that there was plenty to do. As well as sporting facilities there was a Drama Group, Camera Club, Old Time Dancing Club, Garden Club to name just a few.
Pantomimes were a major part of the entertainment produced in the Cinema. To find out more about a particular pantomime click on the link below.
Enjoying summer sun in the swimming pool.